Monday, December 17, 2012

TIME CAPSULE…


!BTU9HlgCGk~$(KGrHgoH-DgEjlLlgJ6SBKHzq3eHT!~~_1_247_1
What would you put in a 2012 time capsule?  A ‘Daily Prompt’ by WordPress 
I have no idea what I would put in my 2012 Time Capsule.  But, the prompt did make me think of a time capsule I did do, almost 60 years ago.
When I was a kid… living in Sacramento… my best friend Jim Kiedasch and I made a Time Capsule.  We placed some important items in one of those army-green ammo boxes my father had brought back from the war.  I can remember a 45 rpm record by Elvis, some photos of us, copies of the Sacramento Bee and Sacramento Union, and a wire recording we had made, telling the events of the day, the biggest one being… burying our Time Capsule.  We sealed the box with candle wax to keep out moisture.  Dug a hole in the flower garden in my parent’s back yard, and covered the box with rocks before filling it in with dirt.  We were very careful to replace the flowers on top.   Our only witness was my sister Nancy… and a cat.  She didn’t know what the hell we were doing, and neither did the cat, so our secret was safe.
We never dug it up.  I would like to think it is still in the back yard, under the rocks and dirt.
***************

Share this:

No comments:

Post a Comment