Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Speakeasy #142: RING IN THE NEW YEAR WITH A BANG!



4957-Ralph Kramden to the moon Alice
 RING IN THE NEW YEAR WITH A BANG!
Somewhere along the Brown Line, an iPhone sounds, startling nearby riders.
Quack!… Quack!… Quack!… Quack!  “Hello?”
“Ethel, where the hell are you?  Our show’s about to start!”
“Well Ralph is going to have to send Alice to the moon without me, Cheryl.  I’m almost to Armitage now, I’ll see you in a bit.”
“You’re on the Ravenswood L?  Do not tell me you’ve been to Jeremy’s!”
“We can’t ring in the New Year without fireworks, Cheryl, and he has the best.”
“I don’t think that’s a good idea. You do remember the school playground last year, Ethel?”
“He says these are much safer ones.  Record ‘TV Land’ and we can watch when I get there.”
“If you get here, Ethel.  Remember, there is bomb sniffing dogs at Lake Transfer Station.”
“Oh shit!”
***********************************
speakeasy2Suzanne, the Editor at The Speakeasy, has issued the following instructions for this week’s Flash Fiction Contest:
“This week’ sentence prompt, provided by last week’s winner, Jeremy, can be used ANYWHERE in your piece.”  “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”
“And the media prompt is a picture, which you will find below. As with all our media prompts, your post shouldn’t be about the picture, but you must make some sort of reference to it in your submission.”
 big-ben-550x412

To read J. Milburn’s award-winning story, go to Writing To Be Noticed  jerjmy
***********************************
In the summer of 1987, I moved to Chicago.  I drove cross-country on I-80 with my daughters Krista and Ashley, and when we got to Nebraska there were huge fireworks stands.  And not just your ‘Safe and Sane’ variety… but the ‘Giant Rockets and Bombs Bursting in Air’ variety.  I bought some.  The Fourth of July was past so I saved them.  One night, I was drinking with a friend and remembered the fireworks.  We took them across the street to an elementary school and set them off in the playground.  It’s a good thing we were so drunk, or we would have been scared for sure.  It was a dazzling display and we never got caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment