Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Friday Fictioneers: THE RIVER IS LOW

Image
THE RIVER IS LOW… a Drabble for Fri Fic
 Mercury hits 73˚ in San Francisco… and it’s January!  Meanwhile in Sacramento:
“Man, the river’s low. I never see it this low. When you think the last time it rained?”
“Hell, I don’t even remember. I hear they’re hiking instead of skiing at Tahoe.”
“Likely be a bitch this summer.”
“No shit, hell I remember ’77. ‘If it’s yellow, be mellow… if it’s brown, flush it down.’ They had to put a pipe across the Richmond Bridge to send those mokes in Marin our water. Let’s secede so we don’t have to send it south.”
“The Golden State will be Brown.”
*************************************
friday-fictioneers
This week’s Friday Fictioneers photo prompt courtesy of Erin Leary.   “Write a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end.”
 I guess this is not really a story, per FF ‘guidelines’, but more  an expression of a few recent random thoughts as I looked at Erin’s photo for inspiration and saw a river.  It made me think of recently seeing the Sacramento river at its lowest ever, no rain to speak of since October there, and this is the rainy season.  There is very little snow in the Sierra Nevadas and none at all from the passes of Southern Oregon to Redding.  California is declaring a state of  Extreme Drought, as we were in shirt sleeves when I was in San Francisco yesterday.  And secession attempts are hot and heavy in the Jefferson Republic to create a 51st state.

No comments:

Post a Comment